Monday, April 8, 2013

face of the day: spring fling.



Good morning, world! On Saturday night, I went to, what we call in the law school world, Spring Fling! I'd insert a full-length photo of my outfit if I had a decent full-length mirror to take pictures with. I'm working on it. My dress is from Topshop though! It was on sale on the Nordstrom website a few weeks ago, so I'm not too sure if it's around still. I know, I know. Florals? In the Spring? How groundbreaking. 

I picked my make-up choices with potential picture taking in mind. I wanted a really nice base and something I knew that wouldn't reflect a ton of light, so I started with Nars Pro-Prime Pore Refining Primer - Oil Free ($34) and Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation ($42). I love the Nars primer because it really does the job of smoothing over my larger pores around and on my nose area. It's the first primer I have come across that really makes a noticeable difference on my skin, and a little goes a long way. The price makes me cringe every time I go to pick it up (this is my second bottle of this stuff), but I guess it lasts me a good four to five months if I used it every day. I have the habit of interchanging this with The Body Shop's Tea Tree Primer because that is a much cheaper option and works great if I'm having a spotty day. And as for the foundation, I am sure everyone has heard they possibly could about it! I have had this bottle of foundation for forever (see: make-up puns), and I have been hoarding the last few drops of it for special occasions. I have quite a love-hate relationship with this foundation because it is pretty mattifying, which could look too chalky on my skin for my taste, but I think it's a heavy-duty, medium-full coverage foundation that does what it's supposed to do. It's long lasting and it doesn't wear off after a full night of debauchery. I could do a full-length review on it later, if you guys so please! 

I applied my foundation with my brand new Beauty Blender ($19.95). I picked this up just the other week because I wanted to know what the damn fuss was about. First impression? It was a lot smaller than I had imagined, which made the twenty dollars a little steep in my mind. But now after having used the blender twice, I get it. I understand the glory that people shower upon this little, pink sponge. It really does give a flawless application with any foundation. I have used it with my Nars Sheer Glow and Make Up For Ever HD, and both blended on like a dream. My only complaint is that I feel as if I use a little more product when I use a sponge. It have to add an extra pump because some of it may get lost or absorbed in to the sponge. I have a love for Sigma face brushes that many of you understand, but I'm sure I'll be working the Beauty Blender in to my daily routine from now on. Does anyone want to tell me how to make this a more sanitary option though? I suppose I should buy a cleaner, but we all know this is going to be a bacteriafest that I want to stay away from.

Next, on my eyes, I used Mac's Paint Pot in Painterly ($18.50) as a base, and then swiped L'Oreal Infallible 24 Hour Eye Shadow in Eternal Sunshine ($7.95) all over the lide. Looking back on it, I wish I had used Half-Baked by Urban Decay all over my lid, but hindsight is 20/20 and all I wanted was some gold on my eyes. I also gently packed a thin line of the Eternal Sunshine on my lower lash line to open up my eyes. I also applied Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner in Nude ($4.49) to the inside of my lower lash line to give my eyes a more awake look as well. This was my first time using the eyeliner, and I wish I could tell you whether it lasted all night or not, but I may have been far too inebriated that evening to really care. Nothing smudged to my knowledge! Also, I just realized I forgot to include my one true love in the photo, but I, of course, used Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner ($20) for my simple winged-liner look. 

I knew I wanted to keep my eyes simple and less of a statement. The real star of the ball was to be my lips. I used Rimmel London Kate Moss Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick in shade 107 ($5). If you haven't tried any of the Kate Moss Matte Lipsticks in your local drug store (my CVS doesn't carry all of the shades for some reason, but I found this at Ulta or Walmart), I think you should stop reading this and good pick some up. 107 is my coveted color. I think I could venture to say it may be the most popular of the collection as well. It's a really beautiful, rich, bold red, but it definitely has some fuchsia shining through as well. Don't let the 'matte' in the title scare you! These are quite moisturizing for a matte finish, and I only reapplied once or twice throughout the night, mostly because I was in the bathroom, waiting for some girlfriends! 

I dabbed on a little of my Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer ($23) under my eyes, and some Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Concealer ($25) over a few blemishes. Then topped it all off with Revlon Nearly Naked Pressed Powder ($9.99) to lock everything in its place. I also used my well-loved Lancome Hypnose Drama Waterproof Mascara ($27) on my lashes. Now, I did talk about my problem of even the most waterproof mascaras smudging below my eyes, which could result in embarrassing raccoon eyes, but I think I may have been using too much concealer under the eye. I am testing said theory out. I'll report back with more. But I also wanted to talk about how I have never really come across a face concealer for blemishes and imperfections that I have absolutely loved. Sure, this Kat Von D concealer is tough as cookies, but it still isn't my favorite. I'm not sure if it's the texture. I sure as hell hate the smell, but it just isn't my favorite of all time, even though I have been trying to work my way through the bottle. I am thinking of heading to Mac for their Pro Longwear Concealer or Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer. Have you tried either of these? Let me know if you have any suggestions! 

Finally, I put Nars all over my cheeks. I defined my jawline and cheekbones with Nars Bronzing Powder in Laguna ($36) and used my Nars Danmari All About Cheeks Blush Palette ($65), which was limited edition. However, Nars Blush in Sin ($29) is the color I used and it is apart of their permanent collection. This color should get far more hype than it does on the internet. It's a very nice berry-pinky-purple, and it has the most wonderful illuminating sheen once applied to the apples of the cheek. It has a very similar glow as Orgasm, but with a more purple hue that is great for darker complexions. 

I nearly forgot to mention what I used on my brows! I used Anastaisa Brow Powder Duo ($23). I can't say I'm an expert with how to fill in my brows, but I think this little powder duo really does the trick if I want to make my eyebrows really stand out, which I really enjoy doing during special occasions.

Now that was a mouth full. I do believe that is everything I used on Saturday night! If you have any questions on the products I mentioned above, do leave a comment below and I will get back to you as soon as possible. 

xx

5 comments:

  1. Cute post! I really want to try some NARS products x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am OBSESSED. You definitely need to give them a try. I think the quality of their products are simply stunning. I started with that blush palette during the holiday, and I'm pretty sure they come out with one every holiday season. It's absolutely worth the money. I've heard great things about their Tinted Moisturizer, but I'm a girl looking for more coverage every day! Good luck on the search! xx

      Delete
  2. your red lips look super good on you and you applied them perfectly! I really want a new foundation and might buy the Make-up forever HD but not sure yeat :-)

    http://theeoptimist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love me a red lip, always. I strongly suggest Make Up For Ever HD if you're looking for a medium to full coverage foundation because it's very reliable and that's what I love about it. It photographs well. It doesn't move. It has a nice matte finish. xx

      Delete
  3. I want to buy all of the products you mentioned! I've been eyeing the Nars blushes for a long time and I think I might just have to splurge for it!

    wheniwearthisdress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS