Thursday, April 4, 2013

no make-up thursdays.


Today, I realized how much I love Spring. The sun hangs out to play for a little longer at the end of the day, and the warmer weather becomes familiar against my covered, dry skin. Everything feels as if it is coming back to life; springing back to life, if you will. I feel as if there is a new bounce in my step since it isn't miserably cold outside. The winter has departed, and my new love, Spring, has arrived. 

Thursdays are my "me" days. I wake up at 7:15 AM for class, and I'm on my mat by 4:30 PM for my yoga practice. No make-up. No judgments. Just me, my mat, and a handful of strangers. 

Don't get me wrong, I quite clearly have a love affair with beauty products. I have a liquid foundation obsession, and I am adding more and more lip colors in my drawers. I never feel quite right without a little concealer under my eyes and a dab of blush on my cheeks. It makes me feel more confident. Not because I am hiding what is underneath, but because beauty is fun to me. And if you know me, I am all about having fun, finding amusement in even the smallest of things. It can be adventurous. It can wake me up in the morning. There is something comforting in having a nighttime beauty routine. I am not the kind of girl who uses make-up or products to cover up. Trust me, I am beyond aware of my imperfections. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Thursday is my day to put the week behind me, to strip myself of the foundation and the blush, to feel grateful for my body for the way it is. In my yoga practice, I have learned that merely showing up on your mat and finding your breath is just about the greatest gift you could give to yourself and your self-esteem. And what liquid foundation can give me that kind of gratitude? 

It's common to set an intention at the start of every yoga practice. My intention today was "strength." Today, on this fairly gorgeous Spring day, what is your intention? 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That's a good one! Definitely keeping my eyes open to new and great opportunities is something that can be easily overlooked in my life, if I'm getting too busy or something like that. Thanks for reading! xx

      Delete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS